If you are a Victim- receiving mail at your address, of a business that is not yours. There are some steps that can assist you.
STEP 1: CONFIRM THE NAME AND ADDRESS USED
• Confirm the name and address used to create the business
• If both your name and address were used to create the business then proceed to STEP 2
• If only your name was used to create the business then proceed to STEP 3
STEP 2: CONTACT U.S. POSTAL SERVICE
• Contact your local United States Postal Service (USPS) to confirm if there is an address forwarding in place for this business
• If there has been a forwarding request – please request a cancellation of the address forwarding
• For information on managing your incoming mail, proceed to the “Resources” section on the last page.
STEP 3: PRINCIPAL ADDRESS CHANGE ON THE BUSINESS
• At the Secretary of State’s Office Website, you need to change the address on file to your current address and/or to the address where you can receive a mail.
• Go to https://www.coloradosos.gov/biz/BusinessEntityCriteriaExt.do?resetTransTyp=Y
• Search for the business using the Business ID or Name
• Find the link “File a Form”
o Select “Statement of Change”
Select first option “Statement of Change Changing the Principal Office Address”
STEP 4: SIGN UP FOR EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS
• At his business record at the Secretary of State’s Office, we encourage you to sign up for email notifications. You will then receive an email notification anytime a change is made on the business record.
• Click on “Sign up for email notification” – enter your email address and hit “subscribe”
SET UP A SECURE BUSINESS FILING
• It is not mandatory, but it is in your best interest to put a security PIN on the account so no one else can get into the account to make further changes.
• Go to Summary Page
Select “Set up Secure Business Filing”
• Select “Request a PIN”
• The PIN will be sent to the company address on file through U.S. Mail – YOUR CURRENT ADDRESS
• Once you receive the PIN, follow the instructions on the letter for setting up secure business filing
STEP 5: DISSOLUTION OF THE BUSINESS
• In this step, you will dissolve the company. While it is not mandatory, we encourage you to attach a word document explaining the dissolution. Please follow the instructions below:
• Go to the Summary Page
o Select “File a Form”
Select “Dissolve a Limited Liability Company” – Fill out the requested information.
Select “Attach Additional Information” – Please do not include any personal information other than what is already shown on the form, it is a publicly accessible document.
STEP 6: FORWARD THE MAIL CORRESPONDENCE TO THE CBI
• If you receive mail that appears to be other than junk mail, i.e. a bank statements or actual credit cards rather than just an offer from a bank to apply, or mail from the IRS or Border and Customs, then we would like to have you forward that mail to us. You can take a photo of the mail or scan it, and email it to us.
STEP 7: FILE A POLICE REPORT
• File a Police Report with your local Police Department or Sheriff’s Office
• Email us the contact information (email and/or direct phone line) for the Detective/Investigator investigating this case along with the CASE NUMBER.
PROTECT YOUR IDENTITY
RESOURCES TO ASSIST IN ALERTS AND OTHER USEFUL TIPS
• Please reach out to our Victim Advocates for further assistance with ID Theft at email@example.com or leave a message for our advocates
• We also have information available on our website at CBIVictimSupport.com
• Manage your incoming mail and packages:
Sign up to digitally preview your incoming mail at https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action
CREDIT FREEZE AND FRAUD ALERT
Freeze your Credit with all three Credit Bureaus
• Check your credit report at
For further details, refer to our website at CBIVictimSupport.com
Create a TWO- FACTOR AUTHENTICATION for all your accounts with financial institutions.